Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sew Smart Cards


Today I wanted to talk to you about sewing. It's not just for fabric anymore! Yesterday was my birthday, and my hubby gave me a new sewing machine! Yay! But I wanted to show you some things that you can do with a sewing machine that maybe you hadn't thought about.

This is the planning stage of making my card. I chose to use a sketch I had seen on one of my MANY laundry avoidance blurfing trips.

After I plan my layers, it's time to sew.
I just wanna say that this ---->
is NOT my new machine. I'm writing this post early and darned if he won't let me HAVE the new machine early. Rats.

A few tips for sewing:

1) You do NOT have to be an expert sewer! I am sooo not and it still looks GREAT.

My dog feels the need to lie between me and my sewing pedal so my stitches are OFTEN crooked. It doesn't matter.

2) Paper is tough on needles. I use a specific heavy duty needle and then ONLY use that needle for paper. I just switch it out when I sew on fabric.

3) I like to use adhesive to secure my paper to the backing. This way I only need to worry about making sure my seams are straight rather than worry about keeping the two papers straight.

4) I put a small piece of tape on the back to secure the stitching. I also cut out the backing. Since I like to layer, it makes it less heavy to mail and saves on paper costs. What can I say ... I'm thrifty.

My last bit of advice to you is not to worry about mistakes in your stitching. I made an oopie on one of my layers and just put a strategic button to hide it. :-)

Sew there you have it ... the low down on sewing. I want to encourage you to get out there and try it!

And before we go, I give you one more card to inspire. The stitches are slightly crooked (the dog bumped me, REALLY!!) but it is STILL cute!



Challenges: Moving Along With The Times: Lots of Layers

7 comments:

  1. I love when there is sewing on a card, and these look awsome! Isn't it horrible when you can't have your gift right away ... waiting is a killer !! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your cards. I especially like the image and the coloring on the top blue card. I love both of them and think you have used the little girl in blue before. I really like her. Great sewing tips and beautiful coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both so cute! Love the stitching on them. Like the way you've layer out the first with the nestie and stamp, I'm always trying about 5 sizes and could avoid it if I planned things out. Good tip. Have fun with your new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanna. Lovely card, love the layers and your image is wonderful. Thank you for joining us at MAWTT and good luck.
    Love Sandra xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww this is really sweet Joanna - what a cute image and you've coloured her beautifully! Gorgeous papers and layering - it's a really sweet card!
    Thanks for joining us at MAWTT and Good Luck in the Challenge!
    Hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute little card and lucky you getting a new sewing machine!
    Thanks for joining in with Sandra's Lots of Layers this week at MAWTT and good luck
    Hugs Laurie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card, lovely layout and super colours. Thanks for sharing with us at MAWTT this week, good luck! Pami x

    ReplyDelete